Toronto Criminal Lawyer and Civil Litigator
Email: Email Me
Toronto criminal defence lawyer and Toronto civil litigator Lorne Sabsay has been practicing law since 1987. Certified by the Law Society of Ontario (LSO) a Specialist in Criminal Law, Lorne has defended clients charged with virtually every offence imaginable, from shoplifting to murder.
Since 2001, Lorne has expanded his trial advocacy skills to the civil and tribunal arenas, handling commercial litigation, civil forfeiture matters, wrongful dismissal litigation, and representing professionals before professional discipline boards and students before academic tribunals.
Lorne is regularly quoted in the media, who seek his expertise and insight on important legal issues of the day. Click on “In the Press.”
In addition to practicing law, Lorne has for most of his career been a frequent contributor to enhancing the skills of other lawyers and students through his teaching of advocacy and legal skills through various legal organizations including the Advocates Society, the Criminal Lawyers Association, and Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development.
In addition to being a leading Toronto criminal lawyer and a Toronto civil litigator, Lorne is an avid practitioner of martial arts. His martial arts background means he knows more than the vast majority of lawyers about assaults, self-defence, and the dynamics of violent encounters in both the criminal and the civil contexts.
He also teaches Karate and mixed martial arts (MMA). He holds a 5th degree black belt in Karate, a blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and has a Shihan level teaching rank in Karate.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Wrongful Dismissal Litigation / Wrongful Termination Litigation
- Professional Discipline
- Academic Tribunal Offences
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Specialist in Criminal Law, Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
- The Osgoode Certificate in Provincial Offences Court Practice – November 21st, 2020.
- The Osgoode Certificate in Handling Summary Conviction Offences – December 5th, 2020.
Published Works (Selected Titles)
- “Search warrants don’t give police carte blanche powers,” For the Defence, Newsletter of the Criminal Lawyers Association of Ontario, 2009.
- To read more articles where Lorne Sabsay was interviewed and quoted, click on our “In the Press” section.
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA) / Ontario Bar Association – called to bar 1987, Criminal Justice Section, Employment and Labour Section, Civil Litigation Section
- The Advocates Society
- Innocence Canada
- Criminal Lawyers Association (CLA)
- Toronto Lawyers Association (TLA)
- Canadian Association of Drug Treatment Court Professionals, National Executive Director
Past Leadership Positions
- Immigration Section, Leader
- CLASP, Member, Board of Directors
- York University, Osgoode Hall Law School, North York, Ontario, Canada
- LL.B. (Bachelor of Laws) – 1985
- Honours: Member, Community and Legal Aid Services Program (CLASP)
- University of Toronto
- B.A. – 1982
- Major: Biology and Political Science