Email: Email me
Toronto criminal defence lawyer and Toronto civil litigator Roselyn Kelada-Sedra focuses on advocacy skills, mediation, negotiation, and courtroom experience. Her prior work as a journalist gave her practical experience and expertise to both research and draft high quality court documents for criminal law and civil litigation matters that are detailed and thorough. In addition, Roselyn is also an entertainment and media lawyer, advising and advocating for professionals in all aspects of entertainment and media.
Roselyn knows the realities of working in theatre, film, and television in Toronto, one of Canada’s largest entertainment markets. Whether you are looking for representation, development, or production, Toronto entertainment lawyer Roselyn Kelada-Sedra can help you negotiate in a collaborative way to get your deal done. And she can draft or review a commercial contract that meets your needs, whether you are involved in creating a show, running a studio or promoting an artist.
Artists can come to Roselyn and feel secure, that she understands their needs and the world in which they work. Why? Because Roselyn is an artist herself. Visit her website, Roselyn.ca, where you will learn more about her work as an actor, writer, and producer. So, a Toronto entertainment lawyer whose work on stage helps make her a better Toronto criminal lawyer in the courtroom, too.
Prior to joining Sabsay Lawyers, Roselyn articled at Cohen Sabsay LLP. This foundation gave her the experience and expertise to draft contracts that avoid problems down the road.
When she’s not working or globe-trotting, Roselyn dedicates her time to community-building among legal professionals in the entertainment industry. As an executive member of the Ontario Bar Association (OBA), Entertainment, Media and Communication Law Section, she helps to develop programs for legal entertainment professionals across Canada.
Roselyn earned her Juris Doctor degree at Osgoode Hall Law School. There, in collaboration with Mixed Company Theatre, Roselyn pioneered a new model of mediation, using theatre games to facilitate holistic communication between disputants. She presented this endeavour at the prestigious Osgoode Hall Law Journal J.D. Research Symposium.
Areas Of Practice
- Entertainment Law
- Civil Litigation
- Criminal Defence
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Juris Doctor – 2016
- Intellectual Property (Intensive 2014)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Intensive 2013-2014)
- Houghton College
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts Magna Cum Laude
- Major: History
- Major: English Literature
- Humber College
- Concentration: Journalism
- Diploma, With Honours
Published Works (Selected Titles)
- Contracts In The Court Of Appeal: Right Decision – Using “Good Faith” In Lieu Of Hard Line
- Osgoode Professional Development blog
- October 2018
- Civility in the court room: Digging into the Groia Decisions
- Osgoode Professional Development blog
- August 2018
- Osgoode Intellectual Property Intensive (27 Jan. 2015) “IP Intensive: A Semester at TVOntario”
- Ontario Bar Association newsletter: ADR section, Criminal section & Civil section (March 2015) “How Mediation Affects Recidivism”
- Ontario Bar Association newsletter: Entertainment, Media & Communications section (March 2015) “European Court of Justice Widens Digital Library Rights”
- IMDB listing: Roselyn Kelada-Sedra
- Musical theatre demo (8 min.)
- “Failure and the Lawyer Life,” Podcast, April 4, 2018 (1hr 15mins)
- “Fail Better,” a new dramedy series, about an articling student with a crippling fear of failure, that drives her through a cutthroat apprenticeship in a Toronto law firm.
- “Fail Better” audio interview on The Law School Show, March 29, 2018 (45 mins.)
- Roselyn’s personal website as an artist, Roselyn.ca
- Dream roles: Cleopatra in Shakespeare’s Antony & Cleopatra; Helena in All’s Well That Ends Well; and Hermione in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
- “Canada’s Smartest Person,” CBC Television, one of 32 finalists, September 15, 2014.
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rkeladasedra/
Honours And Awards
- Russell Nelles Starr, Q.C. Memorial Award: Academic Excellence in Civil Litigation & Contract Law
- Columbia Media Scholastics: Gold Circle for Secondary News Coverage and Bronze Circle for Online Video Content
- Business Information Group: Magazine Writing Award
- Certificate of Achievement: Interpersonal Mediation training completion St. Stephen’s Community House – 2014
Professional Associations And Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario (LSO)
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA)
- Ontario Bar Association (OBA), Entertainment, Media and Communication Law Section, Executive Member (2016-2018)